Head lice can be a major problem particularly for kids who play outdoors and in places where these parasites can gain access to their hair and scalps. They feed on the blood suckered from the scalp and they procreate and defecate on the hair and scalp, causing serious irritation to the sufferer and resulting in scalp itching.
These wingless parasites are very stubborn and difficult to eliminate, they are highly contagious and can easily be transferred from one person to another. Hair lice tend to multiply very quickly and can be responsible for serious illness in children and even adults.
A Simple Homemade Treatment
There are known commercial hair lice treatment shampoos, but more often than not, these shampoos are not as effective as hoped and do not thoroughly eliminate both the adult hair lice and their eggs. Fortunately for you, there is a simple homemade recipe you can use to eliminate hair lice completely and not just adult lice, but also their eggs. In preparing this cost effective solution, you will need the following ingredients and components.
- White vinegar
- Listerine mouthwash or any good brand of mouthwash
- A lice comb
- Plastic bags or a shower cap
Preparation And Use
- You should first wash the scalp and hair of your kid’s head using Listerine mouthwash. Make sure your child’s hair is thoroughly wet.
- Wrap your child’s hair with the plastic bag or make use of a shower cap instead. You should leave the plastic bag or shower cap on their head for one full hour.
- Take off the plastic bag or shower cap, then wash your kid’s hair and scalp using the white vinegar and then cover it up again with another plastic bag or shower cap for yet another period of one hour.
- Take off the plastic bag or shower cap and use regular shampoo to wash your kid’s scalp and hair.
- Next, use the lice comb to comb your child’s hair.
Benefits Of This Homemade Remedy
- The Listerine mouthwash is rich in spearmint which will get the hair lice agitated, as they can’t stand the smell of this compound.
- Listerine can also be put in a spray bottle and you can spray it on your kid’s hair before they go outdoors.
- The white vinegar will get rid of the eggs of the hair lice that is lodged in your child’s hair.
Commercial hair lice treatment is expensive and may not be as effective as this remedy, they also consist of carcinogenic chemicals that can cause more harm than good to the health of your child. So try out this remedy today and you will be glad you did!